As leading Letting Agents in Harrogate we comply fully with The Home Office Right to Rent legislation. As such we are taking the following measures on behalf of our clients:
- Establishing who will be living in a property.
- Obtaining tenants original documents proving they are UK citizens and have leave to remain in the UK.
- Checking documents in the presence of the potential tenant.
- Keeping a copy of documents on file and recording date of the check.
Acceptable documents include:
- A UK passport.
- A passport showing holder is a national of the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
- A registration certificate including permanent residence issued by The Home Office.
- A biometric ‘residence permit’ issued by the Home Office indicating the tenant has ‘indefinite leave’ to remain in the UK.
- A passport or ‘travel document’ indicating the holder is ‘exempt from immigration control’ or has indefinite leave to remain.
- A certificate of registration or naturalisation as a British citizen.
Our Harrogate lettings team can answer any tenant or landlord queries in relation to Right to Rent legislation. We would appreciate all potential tenants having original documentation available to us so we can quickly process their application.
Please note there is a fine payable of £3,000.00 for each tenant who has taken a tenancy without the correct documentation being obtained.